• Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

    Join 37 other followers

  • Chapter

    President:: Elisha Chin
    We are volunteers raising funds and awareness for a treatment and ultimately a cure for Huntington disease. While this promising research is ongoing, we try to improve the lives of families affected by HD.

    Check out our Wish List.


    We also work closely with HSC's Resource Centre Director.

  • Resource Centre

    Southern Alberta Resource Centre
    Karl Lottes, MA, RSW

    102,  5636 Burbank Crescent SE, Calgary Alberta T2H 1Z6
    Westech Building

    Telephone: 403-532-0609
    Cell: 403-801-3459
    Fax: 403- 532-3952

  • Huntington Society of Canada


  • HD Buzz

    HD research news.  In plain language.  Written by scientists. For the global HD community.

  • Meta

  • Advertisements

Continuing Care

Continuing Care in Alberta

Transition Services (AHS)
Transition Services coordinates client movement between different levels of care.  This coordination includes, but is not limited to, arranging for Home Care services for clients being discharged from acute care and completing assessments for clients in the community who require admission to a Supported Living facility.

Transition Services Coordinators are registered nurses who complete comprehensive plans for discharge for clients who require further care in the community.  The Coordinators collaborate with a number of other disciplines throughout the process to ensure appropriate services are provided to the client in the right setting at the right time.

Continuing Care in Alberta
Alberta’s continuing care system provides Albertans with the health, personal care and accommodation services they need to support their independence and quality of life.

A number of options are available based on a person’s needs, as evaluated by a health care professional. The options are available in three streams: home living, supportive living and facility living.

  • Home Living – for people who live in their own house, apartment, condominium or in another independent living option. They are responsible for arranging any home care and support services they require.
  • Supportive Living – combines accommodation services with other supports and care. It meets the needs of a wide range of people, but not those who have highly complex and serious health care needs.
  • Facility Living – includes long-term care facilities such as nursing homes and auxiliary hospitals. Care is provided for people with complex health needs who are unable to remain at home or in supportive living.

Accommodation Standards and Licencing Reporting search
Search for long-term care or supported living facilities.

Living at Home

Aids to Daily Living

Alberta Aids to Daily Living (Alberta Seniors and Community Supports Ministry)

The AADL program helps Albertans with a long-term disability, chronic illness or terminal illness to maintain their independence at home, in lodges or group homes by providing financial assistance to buy medical equipment and supplies. An assessment by a health care professional determines the equipment and supplies that an Albertan can receive through this program.

Calgary Aids to Daily Living
Calgary Aids to Daily Living (CADL) is a specialized Calgary Health Region community service that provides assessment and authorization for certain equipment and/or supplies funded through the Alberta Aids to Daily Living (AADL) Program.

Home Adaptations

Accessible Housing Society Calgary
AHS is a Calgary-based non-profit organization and registered charity with a mandate to create opportunities for safe, affordable, barrier-free housing for people experiencing mobility problems.

Residential Access Modification Program (Alberta Seniors and Community Supports)
RAMP is a program available to eligible wheelchair users to modify their home to be more wheelchair accessible. Applicants can apply for a RAMP grant for up to $5,000.

Renovations may qualify as Eligible Medical Expenses for income tax purposes.
The amounts paid to make changes to give a person who has a severe and prolonged mobility impairment or who lacks normal physical development, access to (or greater mobility or functioning within) the dwelling.

The costs may be incurred in building the principal residence of the person, or in renovating or altering an existing dwelling. These costs can be claimed minus any related rebates such as for goods and services tax/harmonized sales tax (GST/HST).

Renovation or construction expenses have to meet the following conditions:

  • they would not typically be expected to increase the value of the dwelling; and
  • they would not normally be incurred by people without severe and prolonged mobility impairments.

First-Time Home Buyers’ Tax Credit
If you are a person with a disability or are buying a house for a related person with a disability, you do not have to be a first-time home buyer. However, the home must be acquired to enable the person with the disability to live in a more accessible dwelling or in an environment better suited to the personal needs and care of that person.

Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation assistance programs

Residential Rehabilitation Assistance Program
RRAP for Persons with Disabilities provides assistance to low-income homeowners who require modifications to improve accessibility.

Most modifications that make it easier for the occupant with disabilities to live independently are eligible for funding. Items that are eligible include a ramp, chair lift, bathtub lift or wheel-in shower, suitable height adjustments to kitchen work space and cupboards, widening doorways, grab bars and rails, special modifications for the visually and hearing impaired, and modifications for environmental sensitivities. The loan amount depends on household income and the cost of the modifications.

The maximum loan available is $18,000. Depending on income, up to $12,000 may be forgivable. Funds are also available for major home repairs and to owners of rental units undertaking repairs or modifications for low-income tenants.

Home Adaptations for Seniors’ Independence
HASI provides forgivable loans of up to $2,500 to assist with minor adaptations of a home owned by seniors with age-related difficulties. The forgivable loan is provided only to people 65 years or older whose household income is less than the income threshold established for the area. Funds are also available to owners of rental units.

Home Care

Home Care (AHS)
We have an array of services including monitoring of chronic illness, personal care, intravenous therapy, rehabilitation services, wound care, help with your medication, oxygen therapy, or someone to help with homemaking. As well, we offer respite care and palliative care.

Alberta Home Care & Support Association
The Alberta Home Care and Support Association is a voluntary, non-profit organization representing providers of home care and support services, and affiliated individuals and organizations, with an interest in home care and support services. As the recognized voice for providers of home care in Alberta, the association has a mandate to be “a forum to create a collective voice, enabling members to improve quality of health care and home support services in home care environments”.

Canadian Home Care Association
The Canadian Home Care Association (CHCA) is a not-for-profi t membership association dedicated to ensuring the availability of accessible, responsive home care and community supports to enable people to stay in their homes with safety, dignity and quality of life.

Members of the Association include organizations and individuals from publicly funded home care programs, not-for-profi t and proprietary service agencies, consumers, researchers, educators and others with an interest in home care.  Through the support of the Association members who share a commitment to excellence, knowledge transfer and continuous improvement, CHCA serves as the national voice of home care and the access point for information and knowledge for home care across Canada.

Day Programs

Adult Day Support (AHS)
Adult Day Support Programs are designed for adults who are physically frail, cognitively impaired or living with a chronic illness. These day or evening programs have a double focus. They are intended to provide care and support for individuals on one or two days a week so they can continue living in the community. In addition, they are intended to provide family caregivers with a much needed break from caregiving.

Respite Care

Respite programs are designed to provide relief and support to caregivers.  There are two different respite programs:

  1. In Home Respite Care:
    Available through the Home Care program this type of respite provides care for the client in their own home, allowing the caregiver a day or afternoon away.  Charges are based on the client’s income.
  2. Short-Term Respite Beds:
    Available at certain care centres, this type of respite provides a bed and care at a care centre.  The admission is planned, must be pre-booked and is for a limited time only.  Clients are charged a daily accommodation rate at the care centre.  There may be extra charges for medication and laundry.

Current Home Care clients should contact their Home Care-Community Care Coordinator for more information on Respite services.  To become a Home Care client, contact  Community Care Access at 403-943-1920 or toll free in Alberta at 1-888-943-1920.

Supportive Living

Supportive living accommodations combine accommodation with supports and services for a wide range of adults, including seniors and persons with disabilities. Available services often include meals, housekeeping and social activities. Residents can receive professional and personal support services through home care.

Facility Living

Long-term care settings provide both accommodation and health services in facilities like nursing homes and auxiliary hospitals.  Residents pay an accommodation fee to cover the costs of providing accommodations and services like meals, housekeeping and building maintenance. Health services in long-term care are publicly-funded and provided through Alberta Health Services.

Continuing Care (Alberta Seniors and Community Supports)

Continuing Care Publications (Alberta Health and Wellness

Protection for Persons in Care (Alberta Seniors and Community Supports)
Protection for Persons in Care investigates reports of abuse or safety concerns for adults in publicly funded care facilities including hospitals, seniors’ lodges and nursing homes. The Protection for Persons in Care Act, enacted in 1998, makes it a requirement to report any suspicion of abuse to a toll-free reporting line or local police authorities.
Call 1-888-357-9339.

Alberta Continuing Care Association
ACCA is a voluntary, non-profit organization representing owners and operators of continuing care (long term care and designated assisted living) facilities throughout the province of Alberta.

Our membership employ over 16,000 Albertans who deliver over 17 million hours of hands-on care to seniors and younger disabled adults in approximately 10,000 of the 14,600 long-term beds and approximately 1,600 of the 4,000 designated assisted living spaces in the province.

Palliative & Hospice Care

Palliative & Hospice Care (AHS)

Palliative Care is a philosophy of care for people facing life-threatening illness that meets the physical, emotional and spiritual needs of the patient and their loved ones. Palliative care can be provided in any setting; home, hospice, care centre or hospital. It is care that helps make a very difficult passage both manageable and meaningful for people facing death and their loved ones. Besides symptom management to improve the quality of life, Palliative Care provides psychosocial and spiritual support to assist with grief and bereavement.